Malteser International, the worldwide relief agency of the Order of Malta for humanitarian aid, works in more than 25 countries in Africa, Asia and the Americas for people in need, regardless of their religion, origin or political affiliation. Its mission is to provide emergency relief as well as to implement rehabilitation measures and to facilitate the link between emergency relief and sustainable development. Christian values and the humanitarian principles of impartiality and independence form the basis of its work in the following areas: Relief, Reconstruction & Rehabilitation; Health & Nutrition; Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH), Livelihood & Social Programs and Disaster Risk Reduction.
Malteser International has been working in Uganda since 1996, with projects in several regions of the country. In Northern Uganda and more specifically in the West Nile region, Malteser is currently active in the WASH sector for improving the lives of both the host population as well as the refugee population. In the capital Kampala Malteser International’s focus on the health sector with the development of an operative ambulance system and the support of an initiative for mothers of disabled children.
For its work in Kampala, Uganda, Malteser International (MI) is looking for an experienced and motivated Country Coordinator.
As Country Coordinator, you will represent Malteser International in Uganda and provide overall leadership, strategic direction and operational management in line with Malteser International’s policies, procedures and guidelines. You will work closely together with the project and support staff for ensuring the smooth implementation and development of programs and projects according to set targets and identified needs. In Uganda, the Malteser International sector portfolio comprises WASH, health, livelihood and environment.
- Oversee program operations in compliance with Malteser International as well as donor regulations and procedures including responsibility for budget oversight and donor grant management
- Responsible for program development incl. assessment missions, proposal preparation and extension of donor and activity portfolio
- Contribute to the development of Malteser International´s country strategy in Uganda
- Coordinate, monitor and evaluate the implementation of all program activities according to the objectives, log-frame, work plan and approved budgets
- Active networking and representation of Malteser International in Uganda vis-à-vis national authorities, national and international institutions, organizations, partners and donors
- Management and supervision of international and national staff with technical and managerial support to all team members in fulfilment of their duties according to project objectives
- Ensure implementation of security guidelines, monitor the overall security situation and adapt program implementation accordingly
- Graduate or post graduate degree with relevant practical experiences in emergency relief, rehabilitation and/or development aid
- Minimum 7 years overseas working experience in a senior management position in humanitarian assistance and development programs with experience in WASH, health, livelihood and/or environment projects
- Strong international project management skills, including project cycle management, humanitarian standards, logical framework, monitoring and evaluation, feedback mechanism and report writing; community-based approaches would be an asset
- Excellent and proven interpersonal communication and leadership skills including the ability to effectively lead a team and to diplomatically manage relationships with local partners, authorities and donors
- Proven experience in managing multiple international grants and knowledge of administrative standards and requirements of donors (ECHO, BMZ, AA, PRM, etc.)
- A sound understanding and experience in budget and finance management, as well as in administration and logistics procedures would be an asset
- Fluency in English with excellent verbal and written communication skills, German would be an asset
- Excellent and proven interpersonal communication, mediation and leadership skills, including the ability to effectively lead and work in a team
- Diplomatic and negotiation skills in dealing with partners, different authorities, donors, partners and institutions
- Strong networking and fundraising capacities
- Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a strong commitment to humanitarian principles
- Ability to multitask and cope with competing demands under tight deadlines
- Ability to cope with high workload and stress and identify priority activities and assignments
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment
- Good sense of humor
- Starting date: as soon as possible
- Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
- Duration of contract: 24 months
- Salary according to qualification and experience, insurance package, accommodation in team house/apartment
If you are interested in this position, please apply online at https://goo.gl/9yADBB
Kindly submit your application (CV, letter of motivation, copies of diplomas and three professional references) until December 20th, 2017.
D-50825 Cologne / Germany/ www.malteser-international.org