Consultant (m/f) for Private Sector Development (Trade and Regional Integration) in our Africa Department
Duty Station: Hamburg
Job Code: AFR-DEU17GFA0102/5
Duration: 2-year contract with the option to be extended
Deadline for application: 31.10.2017
GFA Consulting Group is one of the leading German consulting companies within the framework of international development cooperation. Our core business is providing consulting services as well as managing projects financed through bilateral and multilateral funds. Since 1982, GFA has been active in more than 130 countries. Over the years, the company has continuously expanded the scope of its work which currently includes ten strategic business areas.
In Africa, one particular focus of GFA’s work relates to the field of regional economic integration, value chain development and the promotion of private sector development in and around agricultural production. Here, GFA benefits from 30 years of practical experience in agricultural development, local economic development and the promotion of adequate small and medium enterprise framework conditions. For more information on GFA please refer to our website www.gfa-group.de .
For our head office in Hamburg/Germany, we are ccurrently looking for an open- minded and versatile Consultant (m/f) to join our Private Sector Development (PSD) Team in the Africa Department.
The PSD consultant will be responsible for project management, acquisition and strategic business development in the technical field of private sector development with a particular focus on the promotion of trade and regional integration. Based on a dynamic market development in the Sub-Saharan region, the PSD consultant will be engaged in strategic business area development, networking and concept development, aside from project management functions.
We are looking for a communicative and energetic colleague, who will actively support the development of GFA in Africa and beyond. The duty station will be Hamburg, with frequent travel to Sub Saharan Africa. Key responsibilities will include:
- Leading the acquisition process of new projects, including elaboration and coordination of technical and financial proposals;
- Establishing and maintaining regular professional contacts and networking with clients, partners and sector experts;
- Support the management of projects and studies (backstopping), on-site and Hamburg-based;
- Conducting technical short-term consultancy missions, including participation in feasibility and project preparatory studies;
- Elaboration of reports, concepts and presentations as well as contributing to knowledge and quality management, including GFA publications;
- Representation of GFA in conferences and seminars;
- Supporting on-the-job-training of our Young-Professionals.
- Development of a distinct technical competence in the field of private sector development through training on the job, realisation of short term missions and preparation of technical proposals.
Qualifications and requirements:
- University degree (Master) in a relevant area (economics, trade, development studies, or related field);
- At least 3 years of relevant experience in the context of development, cooperation and private sector development, preferably related to trade and regional economic integration, including experience in trade / regional integration, private sector / SME development and/or investment promotion and business environment facilitation, ideally in Africa;
- Working experience related to project management and administration both on field and headquarter level is highly appreciated;
- Full proficiency in written and spoken English and French and working knowledge of German are a prerequisite – proficiency in Portuguese is highly appreciated;
- Familiarity with the German and European development sector and a good understanding of the strategies and programmes of the relevant donor agencies would be an asset;
- Strong skills in writing and presentation and advanced proficiency in standard MS Office applications;
- Willingness to travel abroad;
- Other skills include client oriented communication, curiosity, flexibility, pragmatism, improvisation skills, quality orientation, social competence, stress resistance and team player.
GFA offers a future-oriented work place in a multi-cultural environment with a strong focus on values and the joint aim to provide the best possible solutions for our clients and partners in the developing world. Career development in GFA is actively promoted and includes opportunities to engage in long-term project work abroad.
Interested candidates should send their complete application (cover letter, CV, work references / certificates) by email to:
Ms. Romy Rösner
GFA Consulting Group GmbH
Tel.: (49) 40 603 06 - 806