Sea-Watch Technical/Marine Superintendent position now open.
Sea-Watch is a civil maritime rescue NGO currently engaged in the response to the Mediterranean refugee crisis. We are a politically motivated, independent organisation responding to the loss of life at sea on the borders of Europe, with the aim of pressurising the EU to create safe and legal passage accross the mediterranean.
The application process is now open for the role of Technical/Marine Superintendent, and Sea-Watch is looking for a self-motivated, dynamic individual that strongly shares our core political/ethical values. The required experience/qualifications, and the responsibilities of this position are as follows:
The technical superintendent will use their maritime competence to ensure all vessels are operated according to maritime standards. The position will be primarily shore-based and will entail working in close cooperation with the Head of Operations as well as the on-board crew of volunteers and employees. They will also be responsible for the shore-based technical management of our ships (Sea-Watch 3 and Sea-Watch 1) and their accompanying RHIBs.
- Responsibility for repairs and maintenance of all engines, all electric, hydraulic and any other technical equipment within the engine room and on deck in cooperation with the Chief Engineer and Captain
- Responsibility for repairs and maintenance of the RHIBs in cooperation with the crew
- Technical logistics and purchasing of spare parts and consumables for the engine and deck department in cooperation with the Chief Engineer, Captain, Bosun and Logistics Team
- Responsibility for the implementation of MARPOL rules, Oversight over Classification and Certification of the ships and their equipment.
- Communcation and coordination with external service companies, quotation and procurement management.
- Technical supervision of repairs during shipyard (probably in Malta in winter 2017/18)
- Documentation and Administration
- Guidance and coordination of technical employees and volunteers
- Cooperation with crewing for selection of nautical-technical crew
- Realisation of requirements by Head of Operation
- Participation in meetings and phone conferences with the organisation and board as technical expert
The following skills are essential/desirable:
- Interest in maritime rescue of refugees and the political work of Sea-Watch
- Highly flexible, commitment, resilience and good humour
- Marine engineering or similar licence
- Minimum 2 years work experience on sea-going vessels
- Minimum 1 year experience in shore-based technical management is desired
- Experience in maintenance of RHIBs and outboard engines is desired
- Proactive thinking and conscientious, structured, and independent work attitude
- High level of interpersonal/communcation skills, and readiness to explain technical issues to non-maritime supervisors, colleagues and volunteers
- Very good English skills, readiness to travel abroad and to work in a multinational team
- 2.600 € monthly before tax & 40 h/week
- Working from home may be possible, though presence on board during crew change and shipyard times in Malta is required, participation in sea voyages of 2 weeks roughly every 2 or 3 months
- Cooperation in a multinational team and a multinational mission.