As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries.
For the location Lilongwe in Malawi we are looking for a
Development Worker (m/f) as Advisor for the Reproductive Health DirectoratePublic Health Expert JOB-ID: 33330
Field of activity
The mandate of the Reproductive Health Directorate (RHD) is to coordinate the integration of Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) services at all levels within the health system, and develop relevant policies, strategy and guidelines. Furthermore the RHD coordinates all stakeholders involved in SRHR activities, guides and monitors implementation of SRHR programmes.
The Development Advisor will be the counterpart to the Deputy Director and provide technical and managerial support to the directorate. He/She will support the RHD with strengthening the internal coordination and communication, build the M&E capacity of the RHD officers and advise on issues regarding in-service training of skilled birth attendants, in particular using a mentoring approach.
The intention of the placement is to strengthen the RHD in its leadership role of overseeing all SRHR services in the country, with the aim of improving the quality of service delivery and ultimately reducing maternal and newborn mortality.
- Strengthen the internal coordination and communication of technical officers at RHD
- Improve knowledge management within the department in collaboration with the technical officers
- Build the M&E capacity of RHD officers and promote the use of data for decision making
- Support the process of harmonising the mentoring approach within the Ministry of Health
- Provide technical support to the RHD, the district hospitals and the mentors regarding mentoring skilled birth attendants
You offer the following qualifications
- Public Health Expert, with good understanding of SRHR issues
- Background in medicine, nursing or midwifery is a clear advantage
- Experience in policy implementation and capacity building
- Previous experience working in developing countries
- Fluency in written and spoken English
You offer the following competencies
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Proven capacity development and facilitation skills
- Strong interest in organisational development
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Good networking and negotiating skills
Conditions regarding location
- place of residence: Lilongwe
- climate: Moderate to humid subtropical climate, one rainy season, 25-30°C
- healthcare: Basic to good medical care available in Lilongwe (private clinics with international doctors).
- supply and shopping facilities: Super markets with western food supplies and international restaurants available
- accessibility: Daily flights to Europe (via South Africa, Kenya, Ethiopia) and the neighbouring countries
- school situation and school fees: Very good international school in Lilongwe, offers International Baccalaureate (IB); school fees will be covered according to GIZ-rules