As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries.
For the location Dedza in Malawi we are looking for a
Development Worker (m/f) as Advisor on Hospital Management for Dedza District HospitalHealth care management, business administration JOB-ID: 33260
Field of activity
Dedza District Hospital is a public hospital owned by the Dedza local government. It provides secondary as well as primary services to the local population. It receives referrals from the rural primary care health centres and refers patients to the tertiary level hospital in the capital, Lilongwe. It has 350 employees, spread across 6 departments and several clinical units.
The Development Worker will provide technical advice for strengthening hospital management and administration on the operational level, will support the hospital on streamlining quality improvement approaches and promote the use of data for evidence-based decision-making.
The intended outcome of the placement is that the hospital's ability to perform its function as the interface between the local primary and centralized tertiary health care services is strengthened, allowing patients to receive treatment as close to their homes as possible. This will improve patient care, health outcomes and increase the efficient use of scarce financial resources.
- The Development Worker will provide support and advice to the hospital on strengthening general management and administrative processes across the hospital.
- S/he will support quality management initiatives in the hospital, including data management and use for improving quality of care and planning.
- S/he will also support hospital management in strengthening the interfaces between organizational units.
In this, s/he will support hospital management by advising on evidence-based change initiatives in the hospital and document best practices and lessons learned.
- As part of his/her daily work, the Development Worker will take part in management meetings, coach and mentor hospital staff and support capacity development initiatives for hospital staff.
You offer the following qualifications
- Degree in medicine, nursing, business administration, hospital management or any other relevant field
- Practical working experience in hospital management or hospital administration (including nurse management) for at least two years
- Experience in advisory positions and organizational development
- Good command of English, cultural sensitivity, the ability to work independently and as part of a team and highly motivated and self-starting
- Willingness to live and work in a rural town in Malawi (possession of a class B drivers license is recommended)
You offer the following competencies
- Work experience in health care in limited resource settings is an added advantage
- Familiarity with African, particularly South-East African cultures is a plus
Conditions regarding location
- place of residence: Dedza, Central Region, Malawi
- climate: Tropical with moderate souther-hemisphere winters
- healthcare: Basic
- supply and shopping facilities: Basic; most items availale in Lilongwe
- accessibility: Dedza is located about 90min South of Lilongwe on a main high-way
- school situation and school fees: The next international school is located in Lilongwe (International Baccalaureate); school fees will be covered in line with GIZ regulations.
Die Bereitschaft für einen Einsatz an entlegenen Standorten wird vorausgesetzt.
The placement may require travel within the district to visit peripheral healt facilities and to the capital,Lilongwe, for meetings with central level actors and the GIZ.