As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries.
For an assignment as a development worker we are looking for the location Mchinji in Malawi for an
Development Worker (m/f) as Advisor for hospital management in Mchinji District HospitalHealth care management, business administration JOB-ID: 33032
Field of activity
Mchinji District Hospital is a public hospital owned by the Mchinji local government. It provides secondary as well as primary services to the local population. It receives referrals from the rural primary care health centres and refers patients to the tertiary level hospital in the capital, Lilongwe. It has 450 employees, spread across 6 departments and several clinical units.
The Development Advisor will provide technical advice for strengthening hospital management and administration on the operational level, will support the hospital on streamlining quality improvement approaches and promote the use of data for evidence-based decision-making.
- The Development Advisor will provide support to the hospital on strengthening general management and administrative processes across the hospital.
- S/he will support quality management initiatives in the hospital, including data management and use for improving quality of care and planning.
- S/he will also support hospital management in strengthening the interfaces between organizational units.
- In this, s/he will support hospital management by advising on evidence-based change initiatives in the hospital and document best practices and lessons learned.
- As part of his/her daily work, the Development Advisor will take part in management meetings, coach and mentor hospital staff and support capacity development initiatives for hospital staff.
You offer the following qualifications
- Degree in medicine, nursing, business administration, hospital management or any other relevant field
- Practical working experience in hospital management or hospital administration (including nurse management) for at least two years
- Experience in advisory positions and organizational development
- Good command of English, cultural sensitivity, the ability to work independently and as part of a team and highly motivated and self-starting
You offer the following competencies
- Willingness to live and work in a rural town in Malawi (possession of a class B drivers license is recommended)
- Work experience in health care in limited resource settings is an added advantage
- Familiarity with African, particularly South-East African cultures is a plus
Conditions regarding location
place of residence: Mchinji, Central Region, Malawi
climate: Tropical with moderate southern-hemisphere winters
supply and shopping facilities: Basic; most items availale in Lilongwe
accessibility: Ntcheu is located about 100km west of Lilongwe on a main high-way
school situation: The next international school is located in Lilongwe (International Baccalaureate)
school fees: School fees will be covered in line with GIZ regulations.
The placement may require travel within the district to visit peripheral health facilities and to the capital,Lilongwe, for meetings with central level actors and the GIZ.