Operations Support Coordinator (m/f)
Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. / Johanniter International Assistance
Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. (www.thejohanniter.org) is a German Christian non-governmental organisation, dedicated to excellence in the field of first aid, ambulance service, social service programmes and other projects in the medical and social field. The Federal Headquarters are based in Berlin, Germany. Johanniter International Assistance is the operational unit for humanitarian aid, development co-operation and emergency relief, implementing and supporting mostly health projects worldwide.
WAU, South Sudan (with frequent visit to the respective field sites)
Closing Date Application
Sunday, August 27, 2017
Interviews are scheduled for:
September 4-7, 2017
The overall objective of Johanniter in South Sudan is to contribute to reduce morbidity and mortality by improving the health and nutrition status and reducing the vulnerability of people. Furthermore, improved access to water, sanitation and hygiene and improved food security is an essential part of Johanniter’s South Sudan programme. Currently, Johanniter has projects in former Western Bahr el Ghazal (WBeG) of South Sudan focusing on four strategic directions of Johanniter: health, nutrition, WASH and food security and livelihood (FSL).
Currently, our biggest project is focused on management of severe and moderate acute malnutrition (OTP&TSFP) using community based management of acute malnutrition (CMAM) guideline, coordination of maternal, infant and young child nutrition (MIYCN) and nutrition education programs.
In an effort to address malnutrition in an integrated and holistic manner, Johanniter have close working relations with sub-contracted partners (HARD & VSF-G) for FSL projects implemented in the same targeted locations.
Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Overall job purpose
The post holder will support program in WBeG assuring secure project environment, procurement and finance management in line with organizational guidelines and procedures. The role of the Operations Support Coordinator (OSC) is to provide leadership, management of support functions in WBeG, coordination and oversight of all operations and ensure that the field office teams and partners have the necessary tools, resources, information, and assistance to deliver services that meet or exceed internationally accepted standards.
Country Director (first line supervisor)
Head of Desk Africa HQ (second line supervisor)
Finance/Admin Manager, Logistics Manager based in Wau
Receives technical advice from:
Logistics, HR, Finance Coordinators based in Juba and Project Coordinator from Wau
Gives technical advice to:
Standing in for:
Finance/Admin Manager, Logistic Manager based in Wau
Finance/Admin Manager or Logistic Manager based in Wau
Security Management (25%)
- Serve as the organization Security Focal Point (SFP) in the area of operations, nominate and technically manage SFPs for other field offices in WBeG.
- Take overall lead for security at the field level, including assessment, policy development, and enforcement.
- Participate in writing and updating Security Management Plan (SMP) for South Sudan, ensure that all staff know the plan.
- Regularly attend security meetings in Wau, collect, analyze and share with other staff security related information.
- Ensure staff compliance with safety and security guidelines.
- Maintain adequate office and guesthouse compound physical security as well as standard safety equipment.
- Ensure all staff have adequate training, understanding and equipment to fulfill their obligations safely.
- Ensure security incidents are addressed and reported appropriately and mitigation measures are discussed for future reference.
- Make regular assessment and analysis of the security situation (with UNDSS, INGOs and other partners) and recommend sound measures to improve security and safety.
Finance and resources management (20%)
With technical supervision and support from Finance Team in Juba, provide managerial oversight of the finance functions including:
- Support the Finance Manager at field level to ensure timely and accurate submission of financial reporting and forecasts.
- Oversee the programs and operations budget for the field site with the support of the Country Finance Coordinator in Juba.
- Supporting the Finance Department by upholding strict standards according to the Johanniter Finance Manual and donor regulations for all documentation being passed to finance by program and operations and programs staff.
- Ensure all financial clearance of payments owed is completed quickly and efficiently according to Johanniter policies and procedures.
- Support Johanniter Partners in adherence to the financial management procedures in compliance to the Johanniter Financial Guidelines and those of the donors.
Operational/ Logistics Management (20%)
With technical supervision and support from Logistic Team in Juba, provide managerial oversight and guidance to the Logistics function in the field, ensuring:
- Support for Logistic Manager.
- Strict adherence to the Johanniter and donor procurement requirement.
- Safe and timely programme and operations support through management of vehicle maintenance, and use vehicles by drivers and staff (fleet management).
- Effective warehouse and asset management.
- Base management to allow efficient operations and comfortable accommodation and office space.
- IT / Communications - effective equipment available, in good working order, and staff understand their use, including related policies.
Human Resources Management (15%)
With technical supervision and support from HR Team in Juba, provide managerial oversight of the Human Resource function in Wau including:
- Support for HR/ Admin Team in the field.
- Ensure that recruitment of national staff is conducted transparently and fairly in compliance with national laws and Johanniter policies and procedures, all National staff have JD, valid contracts, and ID cards.
- Ensure that Performance Management policies are implemented and follow-on actions are taken as necessary for all staff, and specifically for your direct reports.
- Ensuring that needs of employees are continually assessed with programmes and operations departments.
Strategic Planning, Leadership and Representation (20%)
- Work with the Country Management Team - CMT members on the development and implementation of the Johanniter South Sudan strategic plan as required.
- Ensure support staff in the field office understands and apply the Johanniter global and country strategy, organizational core values and procedures.
- Ensure that key information is shared between CMT and support staff in WBeG.
- Foster a positive and inclusive work environment dedicated to the core values and mission of the Johanniter.
- In cooperation with Project Coordinator, ensure that cross-departmental communication is efficient and effective through regular field management meetings.
- Build capacity of support staff by regular meetings, coaching/mentoring, preparing and enforcing training plans, plans for improvement.
- Build and strengthen external relationships and represent Johanniter with the host government, the UN System, international and national organizations in WBeG.
Professional Qualification and Experience:
- Relevant BSc or MSc degree, preferably in finance or logistics.
- Relevant 3 years of experience in a similar position with INGOs in a developing country
- Strong leadership skills and a supportive attitude towards team members
- Experience in security management
- Demonstrated experience in operations oversight, and management of field teams
- Experience in supporting multi sectorial emergency response program
- Experience in project accounting, logistics and/or HR, good understanding of financial and logistical procedures
- Experience in at least one sector: Nutrition, Health, WASH, Food Security desirable
- Experience in networking with national and international partners and local authorities
- Experience in working in insecure complex emergency settings; working experience in South Sudan desirable
- Strong management and organizational skills
- Strong analytical, written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work in a remote location in an unstable security environment
- Cultural sensitivity and team competence
- Sense of delegation and commitment to local capacity building
- Common sense and being proactive
- Fluency in English required, German a plus
Terms and Conditions
Wednesday, November 01, 2017
Definite contract for one year (with possible extension)
Comprehensive Compensation & Benefits package
Please note that this position is unaccompanied.
Contact and application process
Only complete applications will be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Please be advised, that due to the urgency of the situation, we might start short-listing even before the end of the closing date.