As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries
For the location Windhoek in Namibia we are looking for a
Development Worker Sustainable Development Goals Statistics at the Namibia Statistics Agency (NSA)
Expert in the field of statistics
Field of activity
The SDG Initiative in Namibia programme (SDG-I) is a joint Namibian-German cooperation, supporting the Government of Namibia in laying the foundation for planning, financing and monitoring the national implementation of the Agenda 2030 in Namibia.
The programme is structured into 3 fields of activity: 1) Strengthening policy coherence of the National Development Plan, sectoral strategies and the Agenda 2030 2) Reforming tax administration by setting up a semi-autonomous Namibia Revenue Authority (NAMRA), and 3) Monitoring the implementation of Agenda 2030 and the National Development Plan 5 (NDP5) through support and capacity building at the Namibia Statistics Agency (NSA).
This Development Worker (DW) assignment is directly supporting the Namibia Statistics Agency under field of activity 3 with an aim to ensure that a system monitoring the national implementation of Agenda 2030 and NDP 5 are in place.
For this, the DW will strengthen the capacities of the Namibia Statistics Agency and actors of the Namibia Statistical System for performing its coordinating and steering role and its data collection function to build up a robust assessment mechanism for the Agenda 2030.
The objective of this assignment is to enable NSA to make appropriate data available for the NPC to to monitor the NDP5 implementation and submit a report on the national implementation of Agenda 2030 to the UN High Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (HLPF).
- Advising the Namibia Statistics Agency on its coordinating and steering role of the Namibia Statistical System (NSS). This includes identifying data sources for the NDP5 and Agenda 2030 reports and the establishment of collaboration agreements with actors of the NSS regarding data collection and supply.
- Facilitation of training and support to personnel at the Namibia Statistics Agency as well as institutions of the NSS, to comply with the NSS standards for NDP5 and Agenda 2030 reporting.
- Supporting the establishment of cooperation with international Statistical Offices, including the German Federal Statistical Office, on issues connected with the assessment mechanism and accountability in implementing the Agenda 2030.
You offer the following qualifications
- Successfully completed university education in mathematics, economics, engineering, economic geography, sociology or related fields;
- Expert in the field of statistics;
- Several years of working experience in one of these fields;
- Project management skills;
- Very good English proficiency, both oral and in writing;
- Code B (class 3) driver’s license.
You offer the following competencies
- Experiences in the context of statistics agencies would be an advantage.
- Experience in presentation and moderation;
- Working experience in the southern African / sub-Sahara context would be an additional advantage.
Conditions regarding location
- Location: Windhoek (capital)
- Climate: Windhoek has an arid climate. The rainy season is from December to March.
- Health care: Very good medical care by local specialists (European standard)
- Shopping and supplies: Very good (European standard)
- Accessibility: Windhoek is the capital and is served regularly from Frankfurt (direct flights by several airlines; additional flights via Johannesburg, Qatar, etc.).
- Children/small children: Location is suitable (including various Kindergardens).
- School situation and school fees: There are international and German schools (i.e. Deutsche Höhere Privatschule-DHPS, http://www.dhps-windhoek.de/) offering grade 1 to 12; school fees are reimbursed according to GIZ rules.
- Security and safety: There is occasional (often poverty-related) crime. Most homes are equipped with an alarm system.
The willingness to travel within Namibia (vehicle, flights) is required.