Sosyal Araştırma ve Rehabilite Derneği (SARD), in consortium with a Luxembourg based international NGO, has been addressing the emergency needs of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs), who have been recently displaced by the conflicts inside Syria and are surviving in poor living conditions, with projects funded by international partner organisations, ECHO and UN agencies. Within this framework, SARD and its European NGO partner are recruiting a Head of Office (HoO) with strong experience in promoting and managing emergency programs and disaster/ development linkages, and specific experience in remote management and cross border operations. The position is based in Antakya, Turkey, with regular travel to Gaziantep (as well as Ankara and Istanbul) for coordination purposes with partners and for the development of relations with donors.
- Under the supervision of the Syria Desk Officer at headquarters in Luxembourg, the Head of Office (HoO) ensures the correct implementation of the projects in North-West Syria and Turkey.
- The HoO is based in SARD offices in Antakya. He works in close collaboration with the SARD Director of Operations and reports to the SARD NGO partner Syria Desk Officer at the headquarters in Luxembourg.
- He/She leads the existing projects, develops new projects, supporting the development of the strategy and the coordination of the operations. He/She liaises with the different donors and partners in the field.
- The HoO provides sound technical support and guidance to the SARD team in Antakya in order to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of the interventions and the timely delivery of weekly, monthly and quarterly reports.
- He/She develops and supports the work plan, as well as improves and implements office and management procedures.
- Team management and provision of technical support to the local teams;
- Coordination between HQ and field / coordination of field team/s;
- Guidance and advice on operations and strategy to the partners;
- Liaison with partners and donors;
- Project Development, implementation & monitoring;
- Support Services (Admin, HR);
- Data and Tools Management;
- Regular reporting about projects and the general situation.
- At least 10 years’ experience in working with NGOs or International Organisations, with increasing responsibility in humanitarian/ emergency contexts or in protracted conflict/ chronic crisis contexts;
- At least 4 years’ experience in the same position. Proven experience in writing and managing ECHO and UN-funded projects;
- Experience in remote management and cross border operations;
- Experience in managing institutional relationship in sensitive context;
- Professional experiences in highly insecure countries.
Education & Skills:
- Master’s degree in a relevant field such as Social Science, Development studies, Economics or Law;
- Strong team interpersonal and intercultural management skills and strong capacity to work in a team;
- Strong internal and external coordination and representation skills;
- Knowledge of ECHO and UN agencies (WFP, OCHA) procedures and project management;
- Ability to assess needs and write new project proposals;
- Excellent knowledge of policy and practices related to emergency response, prevention and preparedness and gender mainstreaming;
- Experience in Syria or in other Middle Eastern countries is a strong asset;
- English language (written and spoken) is compulsory;
- Arabic and/or French skills are a strong asset;
- Strong computer skills (use of MS Word, Excel, Outlook and other relevant software). Experience with databases (Quick Books accounting software);
- Proven security management ;
- Monitoring and Evaluation in remote management settings;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines in a fast changing and remote management of the insecure environment.
- Expected start date: 2nd May 2017
- Status: Fixed-term Contract under Luxembourg law;
- Duration: Initial contract of one year, renewable
- Salary: according to experience and the salary scale;
- Living allowances: according to internal rules;
- Travel: Twice-a-year for annual leave plus return trips to HQ as required.
How to apply: